b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Translating Ezekiel 16:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Ben Crick <ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Translating Ezekiel 16:26
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:41:12 +0100

On 31/07/2005 13:37, Ben Crick wrote:

I seem to remember reading a work on Egyptology which I cannot now track
down, describing the religion of the priests of Amun-Re in the temples of
Karnak(?). The main activity of the priests at worship was to manually
masturbate before the statue of Amun, and then ritually eat the semen thus
produced. The statue of Amun was an "alpha male" with an enlarged sexual
organ sticking straight out in front. Ptolemy's(?) troops were so disgusted
with this that they struck off the offending member, which was how Manetho
and later archaeologists discovered things. A few statues of Amun were found
with everything still in place. Crudely carved hands and phalluses were also
discovered as religious artefacts.

See http://web.onetel.com/%7Epeterkirk/Egypt%20pictures/images/4-28l.JPG (suitable for an adult audience only!), my own photo from the Temple of Luxor. But this is actually from a barque shrine of Alexander the Great, so it was not necessarily the Greeks who were censoring such things.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)