b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] "Sucker" Isaiah 53:2 was Re: Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-types

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] "Sucker" Isaiah 53:2 was Re: Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-types
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:59:17 -0500

A quick note:

The word YWNQ, which I translate as a "sucker", is used this
way only once in Tanakh. When it refers to infants, it refers
to one who has not been weaned yet, hence still sucks at his
mother's breast. In agriculture, a sucker (at least in
English) is an unwanted growth from the roots of fruit trees.
Yes it is a tender shoot, but an unwanted one. A farmer who
takes care of his orchard will cut it off.

I may be wrong, but I could not help but notice the parallel
between the English and Hebrew usage. The context that this is
one who was not wanted strengthens the parallel.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

  • [b-hebrew] "Sucker" Isaiah 53:2 was Re: Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-types, Karl Randolph, 07/30/2005