b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew and English word order

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Kummerow" <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew and English word order
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:25:50 +1000

de Regt is no "house painter" (to use your words). You could say his critique is "from the inside", as one "artist" to another.

Some of his works (in English) include:

"Domains and Subdomains in Biblical Hebrew Discourse." Pages 147-161 in Narrative and Comment: Contributions to Discourse Grammar and Biblical Hebrew, Presented to Wolfgang Schneider on the Occasion of His Retirement as a Lecturer of Biblical Hebrew at the Theologische Hochschule in Wuppertal. Edited by Eep Talstra. Societas Hebraica Amstelodamensis. Kampen: Kok Pharos, 1995.

"Aspects of the Syntax and Rhetoric of Participant Reference in Exodus." Pages 215-522 in Studies in the Book of Exodus: Redaction---Reception---Interpretation. Edited by Marc Vervenne. Bibliotheca Ephemeridum Theologicarum Lovaniensium 126. Leuven: Leuven University Press, 1996.

"Domains of Biblical Hebrew Discourse as a Translation Problem." Journal of Translation and Textlinguistics 8 (1996): 50-72.

"Person Shift in Prophetic Texts: Its Function and its Rendering in Ancient and Modern Translations." Pages 214-231 in The Elusive Prophet: The Prophet as Historical Person, Literary Character and Anonymous Artist. Edited by Johannes C. de Moor. Oudtestamentische Studiƫn 45. Leiden: Brill, 2001.

A Parametric Model for Syntactic Studies of a Textual Corpus, Demonstrated on the Hebrew of Deuteronomy 1-30. Studia Semitica Neerlandica 24. Assen: Van Gorcum, 1988.

"Word Order in Different Clause Types in Deuteronomy 1-30." Pages 152-172 in Studies in Hebrew and Aramaic Syntax: Presented to Professor J. Hoftijzer on the Occasion of his Sixty-Fifth Birthday. Edited by K. Jongeling, H. J. Murre-van den Berg, and L. van Rompay. Leiden: Brill, 1991.

"Participant Reference in Some Biblical Hebrew Texts." Jaabericht "Ex Oriente Lux" 32 (1991-92): 150-172.

"Functions and Implications of Rhetorical Questions in the Book of Job." Pages 361-373 in Biblical Hebrew and Discourse Linguistics. Edited by Robert D. Bergen. Dallas: SIL, 1994.

"Discourse Implications of Rhetorical Questions in Job, Deuteronomy and the Minor Prophets." Pages 51-78 in Literary Structure and Rhetorical Strategies in the Hebrew Bible. Edited by L. J. de Regt, J. de Waard, and J. P. Fokkelman. Assen: Van Gorcum, 1996.

"The Order of Participants in Compound Clausal Elements in the Pentateuch and Earlier Prophets: Syntax, Convention or Rhetoric?" Pages 79-100 in Literary Structure and Rhetorical Strategies in the Hebrew Bible. Edited by L. J. de Regt, J. de Waard, and J. P. Fokkelman. Assen: Van Gorcum, 1996.

"Macrosyntactic Functions of Nominal Clauses Referring to Participants." Pages 273-296 in The Verbless Clause in Biblical Hebrew: Linguistic Approaches. Edited by Cynthia L. Miller. Linguistic Studies in Ancient West Semitic 1. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 1999.

Participants in Old Testament Texts and the Translator: Reference Devices and their Rhetorical Impact. Studia Semitica Neerlandica 39. Assen: Van Gorcum, 1999.

In a separate email I'll attach the desired article.

David Kummerow.

On 7/5/05 5:43 PM, "David Kummerow" <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> de Regt's paper has actually been published:
>
> de Regt, L?nart. "Hebrew Syntactical Inversions and their Literary
> Equivalence in Robert Alter's Translation of Genesis." The Bible Translator
> 54 (2003): 111-121.

I am a little bit curios about this. Why would L. de Regt write a critique
of Alter's translation of Genesis? Kind of like a house painter writing a
critique of Mark Rothko. Does anyone have the article in electronic form?
Would be nice to see it.

Clay Bartholomew