b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:00:02 -0500

Luke:

Since ancient times it has been known that after sharpening a steel blade
with a stone or pottery, that a final few swipes with a rod of steel would
make it sharper. Further, regularly using said steel rod would help keep a
blade sharp. (The “iron age” was born when the art of steel making was
discovered, as iron was inferior to bronze, especially for weaponry.)

Looking at Proverbs 27:17, the B- prefix is often used to signify
instrumentality. While YXD could come from either YXD to be together with, or
XDD to sharpen (usually by grinding), what does it mean that steel is
together in steel? That does not say anything. However, it does have meaning
when read as “Steel is sharpened by steel, and (so) a man sharpens the face
of his neighbor.” where human interaction is shown as a way for a person to
become improved.

Interaction here has helped me both in communicating and in understanding
Biblical Hebrew.

The choice of YXD or XDD comes down to which reading makes a message, and YXD
doesn’t.

Karl W. Randolph.