b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Japheth's identity (Ge 9:27)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Japheth's identity (Ge 9:27)
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:44:48 -0500

Walter:

Your article is one speculation, assuming ... assuming ... assuming .....

But the name YPT does have a possible Semitic etymology, as a construct from
the root YPH with the idea of beauty. The claim that it does not have a
Semitic etymology therefore cannot be asserted. (Actually, there are other
concepts in ancient Greek culture that had Semitic roots, many connected with
the cult of Dionesios / Tammuz which went back to Linnear B times. We cannot
rule out that Iapetos was likewise an early Semitic adoption into Greek
culture.)

Karl W. Randolph.