b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: disambiguate question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: disambiguate question
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:32:09 +0100

On 02/06/2005 16:17, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

*/Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>/* wrote:
and used the following wonderful word:
"...... disambiguate....."
meaning, possibly," remove ambiguity from?" I wonder when was it coined, and when is it used?

Sorry, this is perhaps a term from the computer era or perhaps from linguistics, but you clearly understood it correctly. In fact its definition in several dictionaries suggests an origin in linguistics: "To establish a single grammatical or semantic interpretation for."

Surely there was a way of expressing this in BH, that is, somewhat before the computer era . How about a negation of PSXYM (L $TY HS(PYM in I K 18:21. Other possibilities?

Judges 12:6? No ambiguity allowed there! :-)

Seriously, I would imagine that there is a term in mediaeval Hebrew grammar for distinguishing between the two pronunciations of qamats and/or the two of sheva. But I don't know what it is.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)