b-hebrew - Re[2]: [b-hebrew] What do you think of these ideas on "YAHWEH"and "RUACH"? (Travis Jackson)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Vadim Cherny <vadimcherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re[2]: [b-hebrew] What do you think of these ideas on "YAHWEH"and "RUACH"? (Travis Jackson)
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:49:14 +0400

I wonder why everyone ignores the direct evidence of ancient pronunciation of
Tetragrammaton as iao. Feldman cites Diodorus and Varro to this extent, and
of course we have parallel with Egyptian for ass. Final hey is most likely a
suffix of result, such as in cotev - ctiva, or perhaps in milhama. Any
similarity to the verb is surely coincidental, or else the whole story of the
pronunciation known to the high priest only would be ridiculous.

One may or may not accept my view that iao is "I, thou, you," the society,
but of course iao has nothing to do with the verb.

Vadim Cherny