b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHVH Derivation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHVH Derivation
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 21:57:22 +0300

Feldman mentions that most ancient transliteration of tetragrammaton is
iao. Why just not take this at face value?
i, a, o (u) are pronominal suffixes, better known with consonants added for
writing.
They are used to make pronouns: ani as "my essence", anta as "thy essence."
Plural suffix is ai (aim), which makes perfect sense as "thou and I." ai
became ae - tzere, plural suffix ei. There is also abstract plural suffix o
(ot), which might be au as "he and thou."
Also recall the idea, elaborated by Milgrom, of the religion as societal
ethics.
Is it so impossible that tetragrammaton, iao, means "I, thou, he" - the
society?

Vadim Cherny