b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why would the scribal authorities find this objectionable?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>, b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why would the scribal authorities find this objectionable?
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 12:07:33 -0700 (PDT)

We agree that no emendation is necessary here, contrary to Speiser, for
example. And further, your comment on vs. 18 and 22 is well taken.
But the text here, as elsewhere, lends itself to more than one
interpretation. The scribe who wrote of Abraham as "still standing" must have
had in mind a situation that involved standing, otherwise the "still" does
not make sense, and v. 8 is the closest.
We simply cannot reconstruct the original texts from which the MT was put
together. Notice the shift from the plural to the singular from v.9 to v.10 -
wy)mrw to wy)mr.

Uri

"Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu> wrote:
All four "men" move somewhere else in v. 18, though, so the (WDNW in
v. 22 cannot simply mean that Abraham was still standing in the same
place under the tree where he had been standing in v. 8.

Chris H.

90263-4352
http://faculty.pepperdine.edu/cheard
http://www.iTanakh.org