b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genealogy of David

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genealogy of David
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:44:24 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
> But don't count on the length of a generation being so short. In some
> societies it is common for men not to get married until their 40's, so a
> generation length could be as long as 40 years.

Not in ancient Israel. Read any book on the family in Ancient Israel....

> My "700 years" came from
> estimates of the time between Jacob and David. I agree that this is
> rather uncertain, but no one suggests it was as short as 275 years. For
> one thing, there are I think also 11 recorded generations from Jacob to
> Joshua, which could not have taken much less than 200 years.

Why do you assume 700 years from Jacob to David? Assuming we're agreed on
dating David to c. 1000 BCE, what indication do you have for Jacob at 1700?

> >>... Four generations are unlikely to cover 230 years. So four
> >>generations from the Conquest to David seems too few on almost any
> >>chronology.

True. That's what's called "telescoping".

> >Once again - 4 generations are about 200 years. 230 is not that far.
> >
> No, on your assumptions 4 generations are about 100 years. 230 years
> means 57½ years per generation, not impossible but improbable.

You're right here - that's what happens when I answer emails at midnight.