b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] JOB 39:3a Syntax? LXX

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] JOB 39:3a Syntax? LXX
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:58:06 -0800

This is a Hebrew syntax question which is raised by a line in the LXX (OG)
which you will not find** in the MT so don't waste your time looking for it.

JOB 39:3a EXEQREYAS DE AUTWN TA PAIDIA ...

"Did you feed (nourish, rear) their children ... ?"

My question is about the constituent order of AUTWN TA PAIDIA "of them the
children" and I am looking for a Hebrew equivalent of this syntax with the
possessive between the verb and the noun. Is this viable Hebrew syntax?
Could you show me an example or two?

Thanks.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew

**Dhorme thinks that JOB 39:3a LXX (OG) is JOB 39:4a MT with the first verb
read as tlxm (to feed, nourish). But that is not relevant to my question.