b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 49:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 49:10
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:47:22 +0000

On 23/01/2005 02:23, Jim West wrote:

Peter Kirk wrote

Jim, I don't know how you understand the LXX of this line, but it seems to me to support Kelton's suggestion - which is of course far from a new one even in modern times, e.g. NRSV renders "until tribute comes to him". LXX reads:

hEWS AN ELQHi TA APOKEIMENA AUTWi

literally "until come the stored things to him". AUTWi is certainly "to him" and clearly supports a reading with a separate Hebrew word LOH. TA APOKEIMENA suggests a slightly different interpretation of $Y than Kelton's, but could well be a rendering of the same word.

The issue first raised was on the propriety of dividing the word differently than it stands in MT. LXX doesn't support a differing division. Further, "weloh" occurs after "shiloh"- so unless you see some sort of dittography, you still haven't demonstrated that the LXX supports an emendation.

Well, Jim, if I haven't made myself clear I will do so now. Yes, LXX does support a different word division from MT. The WLW following $YLH is in a separate clause, separated with "and" in both Hebrew and Greek, and is separately represented in LXX. LXX is here in fact a word for word rendering of MT, apart from the split of $YLH, with no reordering, as should be clear from the following comparative table of the second half of the verse (view with fixed width):

MT LXX

(D KY hEWS AN
YB) ELQHi
$YLH TA APOKEIMENA AUTWi
WLW KAI AUTOS
YQHT PROSDOKIA
(MYM EQNWN

The only thing which is not a literal translation here is the nominative AUTOS for LW, where a dative might be expected. But this may have been a theological or linguistic adaptation, as "he [is] the expectation of the nations" may seem better than "to him [is] the expectation of the nations".

But if the LXX translators did not read $YLH as two words, something like $Y LW, then where did they get the AUTWi (before KAI) from?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)