b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Review Alter's translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Review Alter's translation
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:33:02 +1300 (NZDT)

B-Hebrewers,

There is a review of Alter's translation of the Torah at:-

Those who like paraphrases like the New Living "Translation"
you will probably dislike this review. I haven't purchased Alter's
translation yet, I expect when I buy my next batch of statistics
textbooks in February from Amazon I'll add a copy to my list then.

It seems to me, from what I've read about Alter's work, it is a welcome
counter-balance to the excesses of paraphrases posing as translations
which are striving for originality and novelty in English. In the words
of the reviewer:-

>There is nothing worse than a religious translation that reaches down to
>its intended audience with modernisms and colloquialisms; for one thing,
>modernisms and colloquialisms date so quickly.

I heartily agree.

Bill Rea, IT Services, Canterbury University \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'