b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6 Wonderful Counselor

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6 Wonderful Counselor
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:02:04 -0500

At 06:47 PM 12/30/2004, you wrote:

This is not the first time that you have stated this. The first time I
let it pass,

magnanimous of you!

but you persist in repeating what is factually incorrect.

well it seems you are right; my memory failed me and so when I checked the grammars, the copulative is required. My bad.

There is no hendiadys involved here. To qualify as hendiadys there must
be a copula between the two terms. Absent a copula this is not
hendiadys.

so it seems. Nonetheless (you knew that was coming) the translation "wonderful counselor" is still more efficient than "wonderful, counselor" as a reflection of the participle and the noun.

Yes, I know. This is a TERRIBLE error! He references the English
versification rather than the Hebrew! He should be drawn and quartered.
Seriously now, this may be an incorrect practice, but if you know that
the systems differ then I would say it is NBD (no big deal). Do try to
not be utterly pedantic.

Exactly and absolutely! And i'll let the last sentence pass and chalk it up to the fact that you didn't eat a proper dinner.

Best

Jim

Jim West, ThD

http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog