b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:8
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:45:29 -0500

Yigal:

The original Greek New Testament doesn't have a term corrosponding to the
modern English "sin" as well. The knee jerk reaction that all referrences to
hAMARTIA mean "sin" makes for a few interesting translations and
misunderstandings.

Concerning rebellion, in Hebrew we had MR) meaning to be defiant, MRH with a
very similar understanding of open defiance in the sense of resistance or
opposition to authority, MRD has more of the idea of declaring independence,
often as in the cases of vassal nations, simply refusing to pay further
tribute, while P$( has the concept of armed sedition or revolt against the
authority. There is some grey area or overlap in meaning between MRD and P$(
in that sometimes the act of MRD, preparations for an armed conflict or
actual armed conflict ensues, and in P$( the actual armed sedition has
elements of declaring independence.

You have a point that in the noun usage, it could be translated as "wrong"
though in the spiritual sense, I see it as symbolic of an individual making
war against God, a sort of shaking one's fist in God's face. True, I"m
reading it in the light of Romans 1:18 - 3:31, not in the modern sense. As in
"sin" above, I don't see a generic concept of "wrong" in Tanakh, rather
specific wrongs are mentioned by name.

Karl W. Randolph.