b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 998 non-past wyyqtl's, Dave

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 998 non-past wyyqtl's, Dave
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:27:18 -0500

Hi Dave, you wrote:
But here's where it gets into trouble in Judges 12:11, because it would be
natural to expect X-qatal in the second clause. I agree completely that the
second wayyiqtol is a restatement/expansion of the first one; the question
is, why did the writer choose to cross the line with a wayyiqtol there
instead of using the more natural X-qatal? I honestly can't think of a
reason, because there doesn't seem to be anything particularly noteworthy or
special about Elon's term: he judged Israel; he judged Israel for X number of
years. That's it. So what would be the point of drawing extra attention to
the number of years by using a "non-standard" wayyiqtol?

I also think that the more expected form for the second "he judged" is X-qatal. One ad hoc explanation that I can throw out is that it was very significant that Elon was from Zebulon. Zebulon, after all, was a star among the tribes in Jdg 4 and 5. In Jdg 12 Elon's connection with Zebulon is mentioned three times in two vv. The sense in English would be something like this: "And Elon the Zubuloni judged Israel after him, yes, he judged Israel ten years."

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church