b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 998 non-past wyyqtl's

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 998 non-past wyyqtl's
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:00:40 -0500

Dave:

When reading through Tanakh over and over again, there seems to be so many
exceptions to all the rules that I have seen concerning wayyiqtols, qatals,
weqatels, etc. that I finally just threw up my hands in frustration and
concentrated on lexeme definition. Admittedly, this is not very scholarly,
but I had my hands full with lexeme analysis so I let it slide.

Take for example, Jonah. The prefix W- is used at the beginning of every
verse except those that quote speech. Here it seems to be a sign of
narration, not tense nor aspect. Unless I missed one, every verse in Judges
12 starts with a W- prefix, as if to signal narration. A translator could
ignore them and treat all verbs as a simple past. Another example is Psalm
105, with a royal mix where the W- seems to signal a continuation of
discussion of a subject, and the lack thereof a signal of broaching a new
subject, but even there it seems not to be 100% consistent and sometimes
other words are used instead of W-.

In other words, there may be more than one set of rules concerning these: one
set for one context and another for a different context.

Well, I have no ax to grind to defend any theory, so it's interesting to
watch your discussions.

Karl W. Randolph.