b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 998 non-past wyyqtl's

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 998 non-past wyyqtl's
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:22:38 +0000

On 30/11/2004 17:00, Dave Washburn wrote:

Hi Peter,
I don't claim that "meaning" is encoded in a form, in fact that was my question, and that was why I brought in the citations from other grammarians who do in fact make such a claim. I'm not sure where I stand on this question, which is why I'm so interested to hear Bryan expand on his comments. That said, I'll be happy to look at your paper, and I hope we'll be able to interact about it some when I get done. Can you suggest one (fairly easily obtainable!) introductory work on Relevance Theory that I can examine in addition?

Thanks for the clarification.

I would recommend that you look at: E-A. Gutt, Translation and Relevance: Cognition and Context, 2nd edition, St. Jerome, Manchester 2000. This starts with a clear introduction to the theory as a whole, partly in the context of biblical texts. I disagree with how Gutt has applied it to translation, but that is the thrust of my paper.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)