b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Karnaim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Karnaim
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:39:32 +0000

On 08/11/2004 06:23, Yigal Levin wrote:

I don't have any idea what the "qarnayim" of the Samaratin Ketubah are, but
the"Or" in "Qaran Or Panav" of Moses (Ex. 34:29, 30, 35) is spelled with an
'Ayin an literally means "the skin of his face becam horned". It is true
that Qeren can also be used figuratively (and in modern Hebrew is used for
"ray", including "radiation"), but that's an interpretation, not the literal
meaning.

It may not just modern Hebrew. In Habakkuk 3:4 refers to QARNAYIM apparently coming from God's hands, in a context where "rays of light" fits well, and this is the understanding of BDB and of modern translations. Does anyone know how far back this interpretation goes? I don't have good reference books on Habakkuk.

More precisely, this is a metaphor, not an interpretation, which at some stage became an extended sense of the word. The interpretation of the metaphor may be debatable.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)