b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] On the Pronunciation of Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Alexander Oldernes" <alexander AT oldernes.no>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] On the Pronunciation of Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 16:19:03 +0100

The main differences between Sephardic and Ashkenazic pronunciation are...
-the consonant taw which in Ashkenazic also has a soft pronounciation.
Without a dagesh it is pronounced "s"
-the vocal qamats gadol is in Sephardic pronounced "ah", but in Ashkenazic
it is pronounced "aw" as in saw
-the vocal chataf qamats is in Sephardic pronounced "o", but in Ashkenazic
it is pronounced "oy"

These are the most significant differences. I haven't found any good online
resource.

Alexander Oldernes
Norway