b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Review of Alter's Translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, "Christopher V. Kimball" <mail AT cvkimball.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Review of Alter's Translation
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:51:37 -0700 (PDT)

Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:
If the vocabulary is restricted, it is surely only because the subject
matter is restricted. For eaxmple, there is no recorded word for "cat",
but that is not because this word was somehow excluded from a restricted
subset of Hebrew which biblical authors were permitted to use, it was
simply because none of the biblical authors happened to need to refer to
cats. If they had needed to refer to them, or to any other features of
daily life which don't happen to be recorded in the Bible, they would
surely have used the appropriate commonly used words."...

Yes, and we have extra-biblical, arachaeological evidence of words that were
in use and never appeared in BH texts.

What comes to mind is the the term NS(.)P for a unit of weight. This is
very familiar from the Arabic where it simply means "half", but in the
excavated notated example it is a larger fraction of the Shekel.

Uri

http://mail.yahoo.com