b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A question on the segollate words

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: VC <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A question on the segollate words
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:33:07 +0100

On 27/09/2004 16:47, VC wrote:

ut here is an example: yedkem, with two
tseres, from yad + -kem.

No good. We discuss two segols, not two tzeres.

This form has two segols. See Genesis 9:2 etc.

But most of our disagreement seems to be about speculative reconstructions. We have e.g.

X > melek, X-i > malki
Y > neged, Y-i > negdi
Z > beged, Z-i > bigdi

We can't be sure exactly what the vowels are in X, Y and Z. But we can suggest that either they were different vowels or else there must be some good reason why the attested suffixed forms are different. I don't think it is sufficient to say that X, Y and Z all had segol, but we can't say much more than that.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)