b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 19:04:38 -0000

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:27:57 -0500 "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
writes:
> George:
>
> The question is not the identity of Ephraim, nor that of his son
> Bery'ah, but how should we read the text?
>
> I understand that Chronicles was written after the Babylonian Exile,
> making use of the genealogical tables that were still extant at that
> time (notice their use in Ezra). As such, it is no surprise to find
> names out of temporal sequence, much the same was as if I were to
> write about Henry Hudson's visit to New York.
>
> My reading of the text indicates that the event of Ephraim losing
> his sons occured in Egypt itself, not in Canaan. Further, the "men
> of Gath" were the Egyptian born sons of people from Gath who had
> settled in Egypt.
>
> But who was this "daughter" $)RH and how does she fit in the
> picture? Was she a notable descendant mentioned because she founded
> the towns in Canaan after the Exodus under Moses? Or was she an
> immediate daughter of Ephraim, and the towns in question were
> temporary towns for Israelites while still in Egypt? Right now, I
> lean towards the former.
>
> The conclusion is not so obvious.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

Karl,

Perhaps there's some text between the lines that I'm not seeing. Where
does it say, or even remotely indicate, that this occured in Egypt?
Please instruct me. I need to sit at your feet. I always thought that
when it referred to HaN.oWLfDiYM B.f)ReC it definitely meant in the land
of Israel. Come, tell me where I have gone wrong.

george
gfsomsel