b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: RGmyrken AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:17:32 EDT

Dear Joe Baker,

I can't really evaluate your Setnakht suggestion, but I don't believe that
there is a suggestion of impropriety in Manetho's statement about Or, "This
king, he states, conceived a desire to behold the gods, as Or, one of his
predecessors on the throne, had done." To see the gods seems a worthy, even
blessed state, and purifying the land of pollutions, as advised by Amenophis
son of
Paapis (described as having "wisdom and knowledge of the future") also seems
positive. The troubles with the gods apparently began when he put priests
(including Osarseph a priest of Osiris) to work in the quarries. Osarseph
then
became an enemy of Egypt, revived the banished cult of Seth-Typhon, etc. At
least that's my reading of the passage.

Best regards,
Russell Gmirkin

> Russell - The main thrust of my post was to argue that Manetho placed
> the "tale" of the expulsion of Osarsiph and his Asiatic allies in the
> reign of Setnakht and that an "official" account of this incident is
> told in an inscription of Setnakht. Maybe your idea of the anti-Seti
> background of Manetho's source is one way of explaining why the name
> Amenophis came to replace that of Setnakht.
>
> I am not bound to my Or = Oros = Akhenaten suggestion. I have no
> objections if you wish to see him as Horus. Now I know that Manetho
> included Orus amongst his first pre-dynasty dynasty of gods (at least
> in Eusebius' version). But for me, Manetho's reference to a
> "predecessor" implies a more recent king - and not a more distant
> ancient god/demigod. It's just seems convenient that the only Oros
> that appears in Manetho's dynasty list from 1 to 19 holds the position
> where one would expect to see Akhenaten - and I would point out that
> Marianne once observed (but now does not hold to it) that Waenre, one
> of Akhenaten's most prominent name (places were named after it and his
> family used it to refer to him in their epithets) could have been
> pronounce like Ware. Also this Or wanted to do something that was
> regarded as religiously inappropriate - one aspect that every later
> Egyptian would see in Akhenaten. Rather difficult to see how, if this
> Or was one of Manetho's ancient god-kings, he would have a desire to
> see the gods when he and his parents and family were all gods.

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Re: The Exodus' mention in Egyptian Annals ?, RGmyrken, 08/30/2004