b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Learning a language, was "Species" of the Genitive Waltke/O'Connor

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Learning a language, was "Species" of the Genitive Waltke/O'Connor
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:55:05 +0100

On 30/08/2004 04:45, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

This may be the best way to learn most grammar, but it can lead to situations
like me: where I understand the text, but cannot explain in grammatical terms
why the text should be read in that particular manner.

My English usage is pretty much that way too :-)

It all depends why you want to learn the language. If you want to understand the text, or even to speak the language, you don't need to learn the grammatical terms. If you want to teach people old-fashioned grammar, then of course you need to learn the relevant terms, and sadly you may need to to argue with those who hold to old-fashioned grammar.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)