b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Species" of the Genitive Waltke/O'Connor

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Species" of the Genitive Waltke/O'Connor
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:03:23 +0100

On 28/08/2004 03:17, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

HH: You may be saying that such categories do not, strictly speaking, have objective reality; there is no particular marker for them, perhaps, beyond the complexities of context. I'm aware of that, but it is still the case that there are repeated ways in which the genitive, accusative, and nominative are used in Hebrew that it is good for one to know. That is what the "species of genitive" really signifies. Now the number of categories derived, and their particular nature, can vary in validity, but I would not want to leave the student without an acquaintance with such nuanced delineations of usage.

I would suggest that the best way for students to acquire "an acquaintance with such nuanced delineations of usage" is to read the text for themselves, repeatedly and in large chunks, rather than to rely on seminary handouts.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)