b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem, city or land?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem, city or land?
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 08:39:03 +0200

Naming an area after its main city is not uncommon. Remember that the area
to the north of Judah was called "Shomron" (Samaria). The Phoenicians were
called "Sidonians". Not to mentions names like "the land of Hamath". In
modern Arabic, "balad" is often used for a town and its immediate environs.

Yigal