b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ramases

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ramases
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:01:18 -0500

Marianne:

That Moshe is a Semitic name is one of the reasons that I say that the
pharaoh of the Exodus was a Hyksos pharaoh. The Egyptians wouldn't give
such a name, but the Hyksos were not Egyptian.

As for repeating a name in Tanakh, very few names were reused for two
or more people, even names that would seem to have been more common.
Part of the reason is that Tanakh names only a very small number of
people in the first place, no more than a few hundred, and with the way
names could be built up means that a few thousand Hebrew names are
possible, at least. Therefore, to see a name used for two or more
people in Tanakh is the exception.

Karl W. Randolph.