b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brian Roberts <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>
  • To: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1450 BCE Exodus ?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:30:14 -0400

Marianne,

I understand we cannot attest to the complete original meaning of the list of Sheshonq I, however, the HB states that King Rehoboam fortified 14 cities in the hill country west of Jerusalem, and that the Egyptians captured these 14 cities. Of those 14 cities, the only one that survives on Sheshonq's list is Aijalon.

That leaves Bethlehem unattested in the Shoshenq I campaign record.
And Etam,
And Tekoa,
And Bethzur,
And Hebron,
And Ziph,
And Adoraim,
And Lachish,
And Mareshah,
And Moresheth-Gath,
And Adullam,
And Socoh,
And Azekah,
And Zorah.

Not to mention Jerusalem. It is plausible that we could be missing 1 or 2 cities from the list. In fact, we know that three cities' names are lost to us. But 14? Including the prize Jerusalem? This approaches unbelievability.

There are 39 other legible cities listed there. It is clear that the focus of the campaign (based on the accident of preservation) was the Negev, Israel , southern Galilee and Gilead.

I don't see wisdom in assuming that all those 14 cities were originally included in Sheshonq's list.

Best Salaams,

Brian Roberts