b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Compound Words in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lira" <rosangelalira AT terra.com.br>
  • To: "Eduard C Hanganu" <eddhanganu AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Compound Words in Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:32:31 -0300

Eduard,

As far as I know, tamid is used in the Bible not only for the burnt
offerings, but for all the continual rituals of the sanctuary. It refers,
for instance, to the "continual burnt-offering" (Ex. 29:42) and to the
"perpetual incense" (Ex. 30:8). However, it also refers to something which
was not renewed every morning and evening, and not even daily, but weekly,
as is the case of the "continual bread" (Num. 4:7). That's why I can't see
tamid and ereb-boqer as synonymous.
In the case of the regular burnt-offering, it is in fact often referred to
as the burnt offering of the morning and the evening. But, in this case, the
order is always morning-evening and not evening-morning.

Blessings,

Rosangela Lira