b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Exodus & Hyksos

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <david.kimbrough AT charter.net>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>, Joe Baker <joebaker AT cygnus.uwa.edu.au>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Exodus & Hyksos
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 16:35:04 +0000

Well I do not know about Albright or Meek but someone, I do not recall who,
pointed out that many of the Levites (who were of course "landless") have
Egyptian names, e.g. Merari, Phineas, Hophni, and Moses. This lead to the
proposal that only the Levites had been in Egypt and left to Canaan. They
joined up the Isrealites in Canaan, who were probably no friends of the
Egyptians either. The experience of this group became the shared history of
the entire nation. The majority of Americans alive today do not have
ancestors who were in the 13 colonies during the War for Independence, yet no
American feels odd about speaking of "our founding fathers". Anyway that is
what I read.