b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; Mice & Rats & Plague

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Chemorion <chosefu_chemorion AT wycliffe.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; Mice & Rats & Plague
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 11:12:57 -0700

Greetings Chemorion,

This a text critical question, an English version question and a lexical
semantic question. I will take the easy one first, the English versions* of
the more formal sort translate this constituent: "moles."

The text critical issue:

>... what
> could be the major cause for the correction of "xpor perot" to
> "xaparparot"?

Perhaps we should invert this question. What would cause the editors of the
MT to split the word in two? 1QIsa(a) has lxprprym, Theodotian has parparwq
(farfaroth) the LXX OG has tois mataiois, Aquila oruktais, Sym. akarmois.
The LXX OG can be probably be safely ignored, the OG text of Isa. raises
more problems than it solves. However Theodotian and 1QIsa(a) lend support
to the single word reading. J.Oswalt (NICOT, Isa) suggests that the MT made
a mistake by dividing a noun which was formed on a reduplicated pattern. I
find this comment intriguing. Does Hebrew have reduplicated patterns? Greek
of course has lots of reduplication but I wasn't aware that it was a common
characteristic of Hebrew. Is it???

lexical semantic issue

This is outside of my field, but I noted that both E.J.Young (NICOT, Isa)
and K&B (HALOT) mention a shrewmouse which was an object of worship in Egypt
and frequently mummified.

If I had to choose between rat and mole, I would probably go with mole. I
don't have an elaborate defense for this choice but it has to do with
semantic parallelism between moles and bats, their blindness and living in
dark holes, etc.

kol tuv,
Clay Bartholomew

* RSV, NRSV, NKJV, NASB (1970 ed.), ASV, KJV, TEV, NJB, NAB.