b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] changes in 'th'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] changes in 'th'
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:33:16 -0500

Trevor:

I guess my main objection with “proto-Semitic” is the methodology and
presuppositions used by those who propose it.

One of my biggest gripes is the argument that languages only lose phonemes,
but do not gain them, an example of which is your statement below, “the
merging of ghayin and ayin was probably not complete even by the time the
Bible was rendered in Greek”. Languages do gain phonemes, and that by contact
with speakers of other languages. For example, now in English we have three
phonemes represented by “ch”—the common one from English, the “k” sound in
words like “ache” and still a fairly rare one, mostly carried by loan words
from other languages, given the German pronunciation. It is a sign of an
educated person that he knows all and when to use which phoneme. Using the
pattern that languages gain phonemes through contact with other languages,
one would predict that the Semitic language that would have the greatest
number of phonemes would be at the southern tip of the Arabian peninsula,
whose ships had been trading down the east coast of Africa and as far east as
China for mille
nnia.

Arabic, too, should have more phonemes than ancient Hebrew, given that they
were traders in contact with both those of southern Arabia and other
languages. Hebrew, other the other hand, was spoken mostly by farmers and
craftsmen living in a land locked country, therefore would have a smaller set
of phonemes.

There has not been a native speaker of Biblical Hebrew not affected by other
languages, in particular, Aramaic, since before the Galut Babel, so much of
what we say is speculation as to how they pronounced their mother tongue.
Maybe we should pray that Eliyahu comes soon so we can learn how to pronounce
Hebrew! Who’s to say that Hebrew was not the original proto-Semitic?

As for Peter Kirk’s claim that, “But in classical Greek theta was an
aspirated plosive, not a fricative” I find it is as convincing as the claim
that there were native speakers of Hebrew during the first century. He may be
right, but I find the evidence unconvincing.

Karl W. Randolph.