b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Names (was: variant pronunciation)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: CS Bartholomew <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Names (was: variant pronunciation)
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:37:55 -0700

On 24/04/2004 10:26, CS Bartholomew wrote:

On 4/24/04 8:06 AM, "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com> wrote:

Another example is how references in the text to
the ìQueen of Heavenî (mele'kheth ha-shamayim,
or maybe even malkat ha-shamayim) were corrupted
by the punctuation to ìthe host of heavenî
(melekheth ha-shamayim). (Jeremiah 7:18;
44:17-19,25)

HH: My lexicons say that the form in the text of
BHS, MeLeKeT, is an unusual form meaning queen,
not host. You must be speaking of the variant
forms. I am not even sure that ML)KT means
"host." You yourself seem to be saying that ML)KT
means "queen.": "ìQueen of Heavenî (mele'kheth
ha-shamayim)." The LXX here has STRATIA, which
means "host." I don't know how the LXX derived
STRATIA, but it may be that they took the variant
ML)KT to represent MeLa)KaH, meaning workmanship
or property, from L)K, and translated it loosely
as "host."

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Harold,

LEH (1st ed) shows two conjectures:

stratia,-as+ *Jer 7:18 te stratia tou ouranou to the host of heaven ? cb) h#myM or
lmmlkt h#myM for MT lmlkt h#myM to the queen of heaven

I'm surprised there isn't a speculation listed something like lml)kt, perhaps le-mal'akot "to the (female) angels" or li-mle'ket "to the business" or "to the workmanship" (construct). I think this is what Noam was getting at although he got his apostrophes mixed up.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)