b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Mark 15:34, Mat 27:46, & Psalm 22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Sesamo m." <sesamox AT hotmail.com>
  • To: pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Re: Mark 15:34, Mat 27:46, & Psalm 22
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:41:33 +0200

Hi Ken,
As I stated, I'm not an expert, and I can't quote any expert, but I remember having read that there is quite a bit of debate regarding the language of first-century Jewish speakers, which must mean that there are different opinions. For instance, I read in this list some time ago that a certain Randall Buth has observed that Greek can distinguish between Aramaic and Hebrew, so that when the GNT says something is in Hebrew, it means Hebrew.
Anyway, I don't want to debate which language did they speak, but what is the explanation offered by those who believe Hebrew was the language spoken in the first century.

Sergio