b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] FlashCards

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe AT crosswire.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] FlashCards
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:27:47 -0700

Greetings,

My apologies for the only ancillary subject, but we try our best to keep you scholars/profs/students stocked with good free tools.

http://crosswire.org/~scribe/FlashCards.zip

Here's a first rev of a small new project: FlashCards. It seemed like an item in demand... So, here it is with the editor. It's only a rudimentary implementation, but it's basically functional for a first release. Uses the text control and Input Methods we wrote for the Leningradensis work (Project eL) a while back. Included are a few Greek lessons.

It has the ability to assign a font to a lesson. This feature is not tested really well. I'd love to hear the feedback of how it works with auxilliary fonts. I think Hebrew will still be shifted left in the editor, but should go RtoL automatically.

Just unzip it to a folder somewhere and double-click on either Flash.jar or FlashEditor.jar (for the lesson editor). You might need to copy any custom font .ttf file you'd like to try out to the FlashCards folder.

If it doesn't run when you double click, you probably don't have Java on your box. Goto: http://java.com and click "Get It Now!" (upper-right). Then go back and try double-clicking the .jar again.

Let me know if it's useful or if you have ideas. We're hoping to have a PocketPC and maybe Palm package ready for testing soon.

-Troy A. Griffitts.

PS. Noticed comments in regard to online LXX and other resources. Our latest collaboration with ABS and SBL is online at: http://thebibletool.com The multi-parallel function is one of my favourite features.

  • [b-hebrew] FlashCards, Troy A. Griffitts, 03/30/2004