b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] quesiton about Song of the Sea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] quesiton about Song of the Sea
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 04:59:35 EST

In a message dated 3/28/2004 5:11:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il writes:

I know that. But why is "shalish" an "officer"? Any particular kind of
officer? Does it have to do with chariotry in particuar? Is the word Hebrew,
and
if so, is it related to "shalosh", three? If not, is it Egyptian? Akkadian?

It occurred to me during the night that the 3 who occupied the chariot were
the driver, the warrior, and (I believe) the armor-bearer. Perhaps $LY$
should
be translated as "armor-bearer."

gfsomsel