b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Does the Dead Sea Scroll, 4QDeut q, match the LXX Quotation of Deuteronomy 32:43?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Does the Dead Sea Scroll, 4QDeut q, match the LXX Quotation of Deuteronomy 32:43?
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:40:11 -0700

Philip,
According to P.W. Skehan, "A Fragment of the 'Song of Moses' (Deut 32) from
Qumran" in BASOR 136 (1954) p. 12-15, v. 43 reads as follows:

hrnynw $mym `mw
wh$txww lw kl 'lhym
ky dm bnyw yqwm
wnqm y$yb lcryw
wlmsn'yw y$lm
wykpr 'dmt `mw

Unfortunately, in the photocopy of the article that I have the photo came out
as a blob, so I can't verify any of the readings from it. Skehan's note says
in part on v.43, "bnyw, with LXX, as against MT `bdyw. The language of
verses 5 (LLX) [sic], 19, 20, seems decisive in favor of the former." I'm
not sure what the BHS note is trying to say.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur