b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] RE: Please shed any light on meaning of "temple"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Deborah Millier <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] RE: Please shed any light on meaning of "temple"
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:52:59 -0800 (PST)

L. Fried wrote:

> As for the viability of mud-brick
> buildings in the archaeogical
> record, that is primarily what
> there is, and they are continually
> found in excavations throughout
> Israel. Often there are also stone
> foundations.

No Liz. I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. The
emphasis is wrong. I know you recently moved to
Israel, but I lived there too...for a little under 5
years. Until January of last year. I took several
courses there related to the geography and archeaology
of Israel. The *vast* majority of structures from
*any* biblical period remaining today were built of
stone. Not mud brick. There are a few from mud
brick: the walls of Jericho, Hazor, ...a couple of
others. But *by far*, stone was the medium of choice.

However, if wood had been used, it would be difficult
to trace today. Stone is easy to detect. Brick a
little harder, but possible. Wood nearly impossible.

It is simply too difficult to tell from the text or
trace-evidence what the "temple" in Shilo was made of.

B'RAKHOT,
-- Michael Millier