b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives onPhilistineguardsofJudean kings in Kings and Samuel?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives onPhilistineguardsofJudean kings in Kings and Samuel?
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 00:32:18 -0600

Oh. Light starts to dawn. I came across that while reading, and I thought,
ho-hum. But it makes a certain amount of sense. Could be part of an old
tradition about who David was.

Could this have anything to do with the apparent split in how Moabites are
viewed in Exodus through Judges? It appears bound to a split in the
priesthood, according to I think Frank Cross.

Waht I'm trying to do is to learn the history of the Yahweh cult. Halpern
thinks DAvid pretty much imposed it on Israel in order to retain the loyalty
of his supporters. Who weren't Israelite. They were Gibeonite,
"Philistine", and maybe Moabite! People of the Negev and the Judean
highlands which didn't even belong to Israel yet.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com