b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinativesonPhilistineguardsofJu dean kings in Kings and Samuel?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinativesonPhilistineguardsofJu dean kings in Kings and Samuel?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:17:04 -0500

Yigal:

Once, yeah, that could be a scribal error, twice, possibly. But seven times
is really stretching things. Especially when there is never an example of
PL$TY being used in that context.

As for David having Philistine blessing when he assumed kingship, I
personally think they were shocked, assuming that David had made enemies of
Judah by his reports of having attacked and pillaged Judah. They showed their
approval by attacking Judah.

An aside concerning the role of “iron” in that period. Years ago, a
Philistine pickax was found in good enough shape that it could be analysed.
It was found that it had been tempered, i.e. steel. Tempered steel is sharper
and harder than bronze, and gave the Philistines an advantage in battle over
their enemies. The description from before and during Saul’s reign is that
the Philistines were keeping the craft of temporing steel a state secret,
selling only finished items.

Did David or some of his men acquire the technique of temporing steel while
at Ziklag, or did David’s conquests wrest it from the Philistines? There is
at least one hint that David operated extensive “iron” works and it would
explain how David’s armies were so successful against numerous foes—they were
armed with steel while their enemies were still largely armed with bronze. If
David and his men acquired the technique of temporing while at Ziklag, that
would explain why the Philistines mounted two apparently major invasions to
reconquer Judah after David became king, i.e. to try to put the genie back in
the bottle.

Under these circumstances, I do not consider HPLTY a native Hebrew word, but
one that was imported with steel weapons. Is it Greek? I think most likely it
was a Philistine term that was loaned to both Hebrew and Greek. Probably the
same with KR<T>Y.

Karl W. Randolph.