b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives on Philistine guardsofJudean king...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives on Philistine guardsofJudean king...
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:40:54 EST

In a message dated 1/25/2004 2:27:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kwrandolph AT email.com writes:
I noticed that these terms were used exclusively to refer to soldiers. What
made me suspect that it may refer to classes of professional soldiers was the
realization that the PLTY is always written with a definite article prefix in
Tanakh, which would have had a pronunciation of “hapeleti”. This sounds
awfully similar to a class of soldiers among the Greeks, who had imported a
lot of
their culture along with their alphabet from Semitic sources.

The terms, as well as the weaponry, may have been Philistine, but in the list
of David’s top soldiers, almost all of them were native Israelis (2 Samuel
23).
_________

Are you implying that the Greek "hoplite" derives from this?

gfsomsel