b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives on Philistine guards of Judean kings in Kings and Samuel?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Dora Smith <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives on Philistine guards of Judean kings in Kings and Samuel?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:31:48 -0800

On 25/01/2004 04:07, Dora Smith wrote:

In his pretty much excellent but not perfect work, "Egypt, Canaan, and
Israel" in Ancient Times", Donald Redford says, "Interestingly, both
"Carians" and "Cretans" appear as ethnic indicators in the lists of
bodyguards of Judaean kings recruited from Philistia." In the footnote he
cites only, "2 Sam. 20:23; 2 Kings 11:4, 19" for his source on that
remarkable idea.

The entire sentence makes no sense whatever to me. Does it make sense to
anybody?

I think all he means is that in those verses in 2 Kings we find the word KARIY "Carite" or "Carian"; in 2 Samuel 20:23 the word may be KARIY "Carian" (Ketiv) or K:RETIY "Kerethite" or perhaps "Cretan" (Qere). The latter word is found undisputed in about ten places. The references are all to the royal bodyguard of Judah.

I know that Egyptian part phonetic, part syllabic hieroglyphic writing has
"determinatives" after many proper nouns to indicate things abouat that
noun, such as whether it is a person's name, a place or a people, or a god.

I am not aware of Hebrew having any such feature. My Hebrew bible is
straight Hebrew characters.

Waht is he talking about - and if "determinatives" are there, what do they
really say and mean?

There are no special determinatives, just words or names apparently indicating the ethnic or geographical origin of these people.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com