b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 1:26--Connotation of the beth preposition

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen. 1:26--Connotation of the beth preposition
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:44:35 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>

The problem, as I see it, is that George has misrepresented BDB in his over-enthusiastic abbreviation. The full BDB article is more than three pages of small print, including short paragraphs describing several of the senses.

Three pages???!!! I can’t imagine any one lexeme needing anywhere near that
much verbiage to explain.

I was always taught that excess verbiage is a sign of sloppy thinking,
twisting a thought to try to make it fit a preconcieved pattern or an attempt
to decieve. Not knowing the people and giving them the benefit of the doubt,
I summarilly rule out the third option, and recognize that often the second
option is unconscious without malice, therefore I tend toward some of options
one and two.

BDB also lists examples of B- meaning "with" in the senses of accompaniment and of concomitant conditions, and clearly distinguishes these from instrumentality. If you disagree with BDB on these listed cases, your disagreement is exegetical and not lexicographical.

I don’t have a BDB available before me, so could someone list a few such? I
would like to see examples of what BDB claim. I can’t think of any off hand
and I don’t have a tagged text to search.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)