b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Proverbs 1:32 - etymology of shalvah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: roodee AT thummy.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 1:32 - etymology of shalvah
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:57:54 -0800

After spending some quality time with this verse I have come to a small obstacle that I am hoping someone can assist me in overcoming. In the KJV shalvah is rendered as prosperity. In the NIDOTT the meaning leans more towards negligence or inattentiveness and many of the other translations lean in this direction. Is there something more within the context of the text that I and others have missed, but the KJV translators did not? In a nutshell then I'm looking for any information about the etymology of shalvah and any recommendations for other resources that would assist me on my own. Oh, I also found that the word used to represent shalvah in the Septuagint is a word not used in any of the NT texts. I know that bit of info is off-topic for this list, but would anyone care to confirm or deny that?

Thanks,

-r