b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 49:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: Dgahler782 AT aol.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 49:10
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 02:34:10 EST

In a message dated 1/5/2004 1:47:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Dgahler782 AT aol.com writes:

> I would appreciate any opinions on the dating of Gen.49:1-27 and, even more
>
> importantly, the possible meaning(s) of Gen. 49:10 regarding ad ki yavo
> Shiloh.

______

Regarding the first part of your question, it probably is not appropriate to
render an opinion in this forum to discuss this question. I will state that
decision regarding when you wish to date it will depend upon whether or not
you accept the Mosaic authorship or not. If you do accept Mosaic authorship,
it then depends upon when you would date Moses. Since you ask the question,
tend to think that you accept more critical views. This has generally been
taken to be a part of the J history. Your decision then depends somewhat on
when you would date this, and opinions vary. Also, it is thought in critical
circles that the tradition which this represents is much older than the time
in
which it is generally thought to have been incorporated into J. You will
need
to decide for yourself what view you wish to accept.

TEXT

Lo)_YfSW.R $eBe+ MiYHW.DfH W.M:XoQ"Q MiB."N RaG:LfYW (aD C.iY_YfBo) $iYLoW

This too has been the subject of debate.

The AV (KJV) followed by the ASV and the NASB translates as "until Shiloh
comes"

The RSV translates "until he comes to whom it belongs" reading $e + LoW

The NRSV translates "until tribute comes to him" reading $eL.oW "that which
belongs to him" with a note giving the RSV reading

The JPS TANAK translates "so that tribute shall come to him" reading $aY LoW
on the model of Is 18.7

gfsomsel

  • [b-hebrew] Genesis 49:10, Dgahler782, 01/05/2004
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 49:10, Polycarp66, 01/06/2004