b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Preferred Unicode Hebrew font

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Christopher V. Kimball" <kimball AT ntplx.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Preferred Unicode Hebrew font
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 05:12:53 -0800

On 29/12/2003 17:57, Christopher V. Kimball wrote:

Would someone please recommend a Unicode Hebrew font capable of displaying cantillation marks? I'm currently using Ezra SIL, which looks great for consonants and vowels, but which sometimes overwrites cantillation marks with the consonants. Of course, free is the best cost.

Chris Kimball

Chris, this seems an unlikely problem with Ezra SIL, although I know that in certain circumstances vowels can interact undesirably with accents. As far as I know Ezra SIL works only with Windows. Correct ordering of various combining marks is required, because of limitations of the Microsoft Uniscribe script processor, and it is essential to use a sufficiently recent version of Uniscribe (as explained in the Ezra SIL documentation. Nevertheless, it is the best font available so far, until the SBL one is released.

If you can let me have a sample of text which is rendered incorrectly with Ezra SIL, I will see if I can advise you how to correct the problem, and if necessary report it to the font designers. Please let me know what OS and application software you are using.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)