b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Prov. 14:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Prov. 14:9
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:10:00 -0500

Dear A. Philip Brown II:

I read this verse as “Foolishness speaks forth guilt, but among straightness
(as in ‘straight arrow, upright’) there is satisfaction.”

)WLYM I read as a noun made from an adjective by the addition of the YM
ending, similar to that of N(YM meaning pleasentness, ($WQYM meaning fraud,
RXMYM meaning mercifulness, and others.

LYC as a verb has the meaning of speaking out, being a spokesperson, also to
babble (be a fool, for a repeated virtue in Proverbs of the wise is that they
know when to still their tongue while fools babble on). Nouns from the same
root include MLYC spokesperson, hence translator LC a babbler, hence a fool,
LCWN babbling, hence foolishness.

)$M, like X+)H, refers both to the fault and to the action taken to make
restitution. In this verse, I read it according to the fault, in this case,
guilt.

BYN means in, among, and/or between. I read it as having a meaning very
similar to the German word unter.

In keeping with the parallelism of the verse, I read Y$RYM with the same
grammatical format as )WLYM above.

Again, keeping in context with the whole book of Proverbs, justness,
straightness, wisdom provide satisfaction, while the opposite ultimately
fails.

Karl W. Randolph.