b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hosanna in the Highest

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: peterg45 AT excite.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hosanna in the Highest
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 03:37:33 -0800

On 14/12/2003 20:21, peterg45 AT excite.com wrote:

Hosanna comes form the Hebrew test of Psalm 118.25, and basically means: "Save
now!" ...

Not sure about the "now". The Hebrew particle na', commonly used in imperatives, is not temporal; most likely it gives to an imperative a feel of asking for a favour, rather than commanding.

... "In the highest" in Matthew, I feel, is a circumlocution for the divine
name. ...

Maybe. I would certainly link it to Hebrew `ELYON "most high" rather than George Somel's suggestions. `ELYON is commonly a title of God, but not always; it can mean high both physically and metaphorically cf. Deu 26:19, 28:1, Psalm 89:28 (English v.27). The last of these, interpreted messianically as referring to Jesus, may well lie behind the NT references. Note that Matthew also includes "Hosanna to the Son of David", which pretty much implies a link to messianically understood passages like Psalm 89.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)