b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The meaning of "Zoan" in the HB

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The meaning of "Zoan" in the HB
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:19:07 -0500

Brian:

As a Hebrew root, C(N is used only once, in Isaiah 33:20 where it appears to
refer to striking a tent.

The other seven times I found refer to a place name in Egypt. Apparently it
was the name of a town that was quite ancient even at the time of the Exodus,
seeing as it was built within a decade of Hebron, a town in existance at the
time of Abraham (assuming the dates are accurate).

I have no trouble with the idea that this refers to a town that either had
two or more names—a Canaanite name and an Egyptian one—or it could refer to a
town that has since been destroyed and forgotten. The surviving records of
the Babylonian and later Persian invasions show that they were quite
destructive, making the second option a real possibility, or a combination of
the two. All the Biblical references to Zoan predate the Babylonian invasion.

Karl W. Randolph.